Thursday, September 3, 2009

I am now in Zubiri

Still on schedule, with wobbly legs & sore feet. I´ve met a couple of people from the Pilgrimage to Santiago forum, as well as 2 members of the American Friends of the Camino. And we all agree: Sil is the goddess of all things Camino!

Special thanks to my friend John who lent me his military-issue duffel. That saved me the cost of checking a bag. Apparently the agent weighed the PR backlash of charging an active military person for checking their bag v. letting one slide by, even though I told him I was not in the military & the bag was a friend´s.

Also special thanks to Estella for the ride to the airport & her cousin who secretly paid for our breakfast. What a way to start a trip!

So for today, I started hitting the bars early, as in 7:30 a.m. Before you go off wondering if I might have a (hic) problem (hic), in Spain, the only places open all day that serve food are the bars. So we stopped off for a coffee & sandwich, then headed off to the next bar. And the next. And the next. The Spanish are so polite to have bars every 5 clicks so you can stop in for a top up.

I am now in Zubiri, which is filled up quite fast because the albergue in Larrasoana is closed for the next 3 days. No reason given, but I suspect bed bugs. ICK!

Tomorrow I´m taking a bus to Pamplona to rest my legs & gear up for the climb up AND down the Alto.

Sorry no amusing tales today about getting stuck in my bra or other piece of intimate apparel. Nothing funny has happened.....yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment